Beto wants to ensure that every single child has access to a world-class public school education. He knows that education is the surest path to individual success and for the collective success of our state and country.
To improve our education system, Beto believes we must:
- Ensure that no public tax dollars are given to private schools.
- Increase public funding for low income and underserved communities.
- Protect teachers’ retirements by doing away with the Windfall Elimination Provision.
- Empower teachers to teach to students — not to high-stakes standardized tests.
- Make sure higher education is affordable, whether it be at a university or trade school, a community college or apprenticeship.
- Strike down toxic legislation like Senate Bill 6 and any regulation that discriminates against a student based on their sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Get the backs of our retired teachers.
- Fully fund our commitments under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
- Beto supported bipartisan legislation that replaces No Child Left Behind, allowing school districts to develop their own accountability mechanisms.
- Beto has opposed votes to voucherize and privatize public education. He also spoke out against the nomination of Betsy DeVos to be Secretary of Education.
- Beto has supported expanding early education to begin in Pre-K.
- Beto cosponsored legislation that would end the Windfall Elimination Provision.
- Beto has advocated for paying teachers a higher salary.
- Beto supports efforts to expand the diversity of our teacher workforce through financial aid and recruiting.